Building the best AI assistant for the developers
Improvement and Bug fixes
Performance Upgrades: Bito can now process multiple chunks at once, slashing network calls and giving a considerable boost to indexing speed for both JetBrains & VS Code users. Plus, VS Code users can expect an even swifter performance with our newly integrated batched writes.
Bug Fixes: Our team has diligently tackled issues from V1.1.7:
- 1.We've resolved the race conditions that occurred when switching between multiple IDE windows.
- 3.The keyboard shortcut for code insertion in the IDE extension has been fixed.
Improvement and Bug fixes
Improvements in AI that Understands Your Code
Introducing .bitoignore: You can now tell Bito to skip certain files and folders during indexing. Perfect for indexing those big repositories without the unimportant stuff.
30% to 40% Faster Indexing: We have improved the way your repo is indexed. Now, Bito can understand every 10MB of code in just 16 to 18 minutes, a big leap from the old 30-minute mark. Enjoy the speed!
Up to 120MB Max Repo Size: You can now index larger repositories. We've bumped up the indexing limit to 120MB per repo. Need to trim a bit? Use the .bitoignore feature to exclude specific files and folders and remain within the limit. Happy indexing!
Over-100% Indexing Bug Fixed: Good news! We've fixed that quirky bug where the indexing went beyond 100% during repo reindexing. No more overachieving percentages!
Billing Related Bug Fixes
Billing Invite Glitch: All Sorted! Had trouble inviting users via the Bito Web UI for billing? Good news! We've fixed that hiccup. Invite away!
Improvement and Bug fixes
File/Folder Filtering Improved for Indexing: We've added more files and folders to the exclusion list, speeding up the indexing process by preventing Bito from indexing unnecessary files and folders.
Progress Indicator for Indexing: Index building now has a progress indicator based on the number of files indexed. The progress indicator for the current folder is updated in real-time. However, for projects in the "Other projects" section, the progress indicator is updated every 5 minutes.
Added "Indexing is paused" status: This status will be displayed for a project that was previously being indexed but is now paused for some reason. Generally, if you close the IDE while the project is being indexed, its status will change from "Indexing in progress" to "Indexing is paused."
AI that Understands Your Code: Bito's most requested feature is here. Bito AI now comprehends your codebase inside out using AI indexing, ensuring privacy as the index stays on your system.
Simply add "my code" or “我的仓库” in Chinese to your AI requests and watch Bito efficiently navigate your repository, providing precise solutions.
Try it out with queries like:
- 1.Find errors in scraper.py in my code.
- 2.Write frontend and backend code for user authentication, using the authentication service in my code.
- 3.List files and changes needed to add a "desc" column in the "raw_data" table in the "dailyReport" DB in my code.
Expanded Contextual Memory: Bito now has a larger contextual memory and output capability, that can process up to 40,000 characters (around 18 single-spaced pages). This expanded memory encompasses the provided prompt, existing context from previous chats, and the generated output.
Our latest version of Bito offers 3X longer conversation memory, ensuring contextually accurate responses. Chat like never before!
Language support for AI Output: We're excited to announce that Bito now supports multiple languages in IDEs, allowing you to converse in your preferred language. With this update, you can easily switch to your desired language within the chat interface.
Supported languages: English, Bulgarian, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Czech, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Turkish, and Vietnamese.
How to Access:
- 1.Click on the settings icon in the plugin interface's top right corner.
- 2.Select your preferred language from the list of supported languages.
- 3.Save your choice; Bito will now communicate with you in the selected language.
Note: All responses from Bito will appear in the selected language, regardless of the input language.
Enjoy the convenience of conversing with Bito in your native language and take your coding experience to a new level!
Custom Templates in IDE Context Menu: Your requests are our priority! We are pleased to introduce running "Custom Prompt Templates" to the IDE context menu. Building on the success of our previous release, where we introduced custom templates in the Bito plugin, we've taken it a step further. Now, you can access your personalized templates directly from the context menu in your IDE from "Run Custom Prompt Template"
Execute Custom Prompt Template with Context Menu
Clicking "Run Custom Prompt Template" opens up a list of your templates in the Command Pallet or other secondary menu, depending on your IDE.
Introducing Context in Bito CLI: Bito CLI can now remember previous conversations, allowing for a more seamless and contextual experience. With the addition of context file support, you can now pass a context file using the -c command to preserve the context and history of your conversation. Watch our helpful tutorial to learn more about utilizing context files in Bito CLI.
Say goodbye to repetitive context-setting and dive straight into productive and context-aware discussions with Bito CLI! 💬💡
Improvement and Bug fixes
Bito Version 1.0.135 and IntelliJ IDEA 2021.1.x Compatibility: We recently discovered an issue where Bito version 1.0.135 was not compatible with specific older versions of IntelliJ IDEA. We want to assure you that we have addressed this compatibility concern, and Bito is now fully compatible with IntelliJ IDEA.
Automatic CLI updates: Say goodbye to manual updates! We're thrilled to introduce the CLI Auto-update feature. With this, Bito CLI will automatically check for updates whenever you open it. If a new version is available, the CLI will seamlessly update itself, ensuring you're always equipped with the latest enhancements, bug fixes, and features. Stay ahead of the curve without the hassle of manual updates!
Introducing Custom Prompt Template: Bito allows you to create and save custom prompt templates for IDEs. Define a template name and prompt, and Bito will execute it on the selected code. You can add up to 4 custom templates and edit or remove them as needed. Learn more about Custom Prompt Template.
My custom template
Improvement and Bug fixes
- 1.Resolved OTP verification issue: Unfortunately, some customers experienced an issue last week where they could not complete OTP verification during login to the Bito Plugin. We are happy to report that this issue has been resolved in the latest release.
- 2.Fix for Context Menu and Shortcuts on Ubuntu 2023.1 JetBrains: Fixed an issue where the context menu and shortcuts were not functioning correctly on Ubuntu 2023.1 JetBrains, causing the selection of code and options like explain code not to work as intended. This has now been resolved.
- 1.CLI "My Prompt": We're excited to announce the launch of Bito CLI My Prompt, our first step in empowering developers to automate tasks with AI. My Prompt makes creating accurate and concise prompts for your development tasks easy, reusing them with simple Bito commands. It allows you to automate various coding tasks, such as generating commit messages, test data, or code documentation. The possibilities are limitless. Two new command line options support My Prompt feature:
-p option: To specify a file containing the prompt or instructions for the AI models to operate.
-f option: To specify the file to perform the operation/instructions described in the prompt file.
Here are two examples for you to see My Prompt in action:
Create Git Commit Messages and Markdown Documentation with Ease using Bito CLI My Prompt
Generate test data using Bito CLI My Prompt:
- 2.Generate Unit Test Shortcut (Waitlist): With this new shortcut button, developers can now easily generate unit tests for their code with just a click. This new feature is designed to streamline the testing process and improve code quality, making it easier for developers to deliver high-quality work.Be the first to try our exciting new feature! You can now add yourself to the waitlist by clicking on the icon.
Improvement and Bug fixes:
- 1.Improved Explain Code Shortcut: Previously, the Explain Code shortcut button provided a summary of the code logic, but with our latest update, it now also provides a detailed, step-by-step explanation of the code. We have merged two previous shortcuts into one. Now, developers can easily understand the code logic and its components.
- 2.We've fixed an issue where the CTRL+C command was not working on Mac OS. Now, you can easily copy and paste text without any problems.
- 3.We've resolved an issue with context menus and shortcuts not working on Ubuntu 2023.1 JetBrains. This fix ensures that all shortcuts and context menus work as expected, making it easier for developers to navigate the IDE.
- 4.We've fixed an issue on Linux version 2023.1 IntelliJ where users could not type anything in the text area of our chat interface. This fix ensures that users can input text as expected.
- 1.Chat Session History: In the last release, we added Context-Aware chat. This release lets you view past chat sessions on the chat interface. The history feature is located at the top right corner of the chat interface. With this, users can easily revisit their past conversations, making it easier to pick up where they left off. Additionally, users can share their past chat sessions with colleagues, making it easier to collaborate and share knowledge. The new chat session History adds another layer of convenience and functionality to the AI assistant.
Access Chat Session History
History of Chat Sessions
- 1.GPT-4: We are thrilled to announce that we have integrated GPT-4, the industry's latest and most powerful generation model. With GPT-4 integration, Bito's AI assistant is now even more powerful and capable of providing detailed and accurate responses to various programming-related queries. Developers can ask complex questions and receive natural language responses that are both helpful and informative.
- 2.Long Code Input: Bito fully leverages GPT-4's increased token limit. With this, users could input and receive feedback on larger blocks of code, making it easier to troubleshoot and optimize code for performance. The exact size of the code depends on many factors, including how long the current chat session is. Bito can take 2-3x longer code input than the input length supported by the previous version of Bito.
Note that we use a combination of GPT-4 and GPT Turbo 3.5 models. We route long, complex prompts to GPT-4 and short prompts to Turbo 3.5 models. This helps us balance the quality of output that Bito generates and the cost of servicing users. If you ask Bito about the model in use, most likely, it will say GPT-3, as this simple prompt is routed to Turbo 3.5.
We may offer a paid version of Bito in the future that always uses GPT-4 or other advanced models. However, our internal testing has shown that the output quality for simple and short prompts is not very different between 3.5 and 4. The full benefit of GPT-4 is realized in complex, long prompts or when prompts are related to niche facts that models are likely to hallucinate. We have not seen "hallucination" as a major issue for the development-related use cases that Bito is targeting.
Improvement and Bug fixes:
- 1.Stop Generation in Chat Interface: We have added a Stop Generation button to our chat interface, allowing users to stop the response generation process anytime. This feature will be especially helpful in cases where users have asked a question incorrectly or want to modify their question before receiving a response.
- 2.Diff View Bug Fix – We have resolved a bug in our VS Code Extension v1.0.132. The bug affected one of our key features, Diff view, which provides a side-by-side view of changes proposed by Bito AI in the IDE. The bug was causing multiple diff views to open simultaneously, which could be confusing. This has been fixed now.
- 1.Context-Aware Chat: Our latest update is the most critical one since our launch. Many of our users had requested an interactive chat experience similar to ChatGPT, which was unavailable in earlier versions. With this new update, you can now ask follow-up questions to refine the output, which considers the chat history for context. You can initiate a chat session with a custom request, use Bito Shortcuts like Performance Check, and follow up with additional prompts. To give you an idea of how it works, here is an example of an interactive chat session.
- 2.Instant Results: With the latest release of Bito, you can now experience instant results that appear within seconds. In previous versions, users had to wait patiently while being entertained by amusing messages, but we understand that this could become frustrating over time. This new update implements streaming output, allowing you to access the information you need with minimal delay immediately.
Improvements & Bug Fixes
- 1.Dynamic Font Size & Family: This feature in Bito adjusts the interface's font size and family dynamically based on the font size you have set up in your Integrated Development Environment (IDE) settings. The goal of this feature is to make the chat interface more accessible and comfortable to use for all users, regardless of their font preferences, visual acuity, or screen size.
- 2.Configure Keyboard Shortcuts: This feature allows users to customize the default keyboard shortcuts in Bito to avoid conflicts with other IDE-specific shortcuts they may be using. By configuring keyboard shortcuts, users can streamline their workflow and increase their productivity by accessing Bito functions more quickly and efficiently. The instructions for configuring keyboard shortcuts in Bito are in this link.
- 1.Diff View: Bito Shortcuts added many quick operations on your existing code, such as checking performance, improving code readability, or security check. The Diff View in IDE now gives a side-by-side view of the changes proposed by Bito AI. Bito automatically creates a temp file with the proposed code changes and displays diff view with your current code file. IDE's built-in "diff review feature" lets you review and accept/reject the changes. We love that Bito AI can improve your code in many ways, but we want you to be in control while incorporating changes to your code repository. Diff view is built just for that.
Diff view for the code changes proposed by Bito
- 2.Keyboard Accessibility: We have added keyboard accessibility to all UI elements in Bito. You can navigate with Tab and Shift + Tab. Standard keys such as Enter, ESC, and Up/Down arrows work. You can also move between Q&A with the Up and Down arrow keys once the Q/A container is focused.
- 3.Keyboard Shortcuts: Keyboard shortcuts for the most commonly used commands.
- SHIFT+ CTRL + O: Brings Bito panel in focus. With this shortcut, you can toggle Bito Panel on/off in the JetBrains extensions. In VS Code, the shortcut will open the Bito panel (if not already opened). You can use shortcuts of other tabs (e.g. CTRL + SHIFT + E for Explorer) to close Bito.
- SPACEBAR: Puts cursor in the chatbox when Bito panel is in focus.
- ENTER: Execute the chat command.
- CTRL+ ENTER or SHIFT + ENTER: Adds a new line in the chatbox.
- The following shortcuts work on the Q&A when a Q&A is selected.
- 1.CTRL + C: Copy the answer to the clipboard.
- 2.CTRL + I: Insert the answer in the code editor.
- 3.CTRL + D: Toggle the diff view (when Diff View is applicable)
- 4.CTRL + UP/DOWN (Mac: CTRL + SHIFT + UP/DOWN): Expand and collapse the code block where applicable.
- 5.CTRL + L : Regnerate the answer.
- 6.CTRL + U: Modify the prompt for the selected Q&A. Bito copies the prompt in the chatbox that you can modify as needed.
- CTRL + M: Modify the most recently executed prompt.
- CTRL + UP/DOWN (CTRL + SHIFT + UP/DOWN on Mac): Expands and collapses the "Shortcut" panel in Bito.
- 4.Sharing: You can easily share a single question and answer to any channel. Every question and answer has a web permalink that you can share on Twitter and E-mail directly. Copy and paste the link into Slack, Teams, Jira, or Confluence.
- 5.Regenerate the results of any prompt with a single click.
- 6.Edit prompt lets you modify a previously executed prompt. You can edit any prompt with the "Edit Prompt" action next to the question.
Edit any prompt.
To modify the most recent prompt, click the "Redo" icon in the chatbox.
Edit the last prompt
Improvements & Bug Fixes
- 1.The Bito icon in the JetBrains IDE is optimized, so the extension panel doesn't take up space when not in use.
- 1.Code Block formatting and syntax highlighting make it easy to distinguish code from the text content in the chat output. When you use Shortcuts to transform any existing code, the original code is collapsed by default in the question box, thus giving more space for the answer, and the output code is formatted and syntax highlighted.
- 2.Several UI improvements to make Bito look and work great in your IDE. We have reduced padding around the questions and answers blocks so you see more content. The scrollbars are optimized to take up less space and reduce visual clutter.
- 1.Shortcuts give your existing code power of Bito AI. Select any code snippet in your code editor, and use Bito Shortcuts to run security, performance, or style check. Know how the code works, what it does, or generate comments. You can clean code, improve readability or automatically add exception handling. Behind the scene, we automatically generate the best possible prompt for the best AI output, so you don't have to spend time with prompts.
- 1.Fixed crash when using Bito JetBrain extension with PyCharm.
- 2.Fixed Git dependency issue in the Visual Studio Code extension.
- 1.Additional pre-defined prompts to improve the quality and readability of the code.
- Improve Readability - Makes code more readable by organizing the better
- Clean Code - Remove debugging, commented code, and log-related code.
- Make Robust - Add exception/error handling to the code.
- Add Steps - Add explanation steps to the block of codes.
- 1.Improved UX for smaller screen resolution.
- 1.Pre-defined prompts for various checks on your existing code. Select your code and choose one of the below options:
- Explain Steps: Explain "How the code works?".
- Explain Code: Explain "What does this code do?"
- Generate Comment: Generate a comment for the selected code.
- Performance Check: Check the selected code for performance and gives pointers to fix the performance. It also rewrites the code with the suggested performance fixes,
- Security Check: Check the selected code for security issues and gives pointers to fix them. It also rewrites the code with the suggested security fixes,
- Style Check: Check the selected code for the style issues and gives suggestions to fix them. It also rewrites the code with the suggested style fixes.
- 2.Command Pallet support in Visual Studio Code. All Bito commands are accessible in the Visual Studio Command Pallet.
- 3.Insert output from Bito AI into your code file with a single click. This is great for inserting any generated code in your code editor. It inserts the code wherever your cursor is, or if you want to replace the existing code, select the code and insert the new code.
- 1.Keyboard support for the AI Chatbox. Send the request with 'Enter' and add a new line to the chat with 'CTRL+Enter.'